When launching an email campaign, you, as a business, have to be careful about who you add to your lists. Make sure you’re sending to people who know they are one of your contacts. If not, you’re well on your way to being a spammer.
While at a Constant Contact Social Media workshop, I picked up these tips on safely adding people to your mailing list:
1. Ask when on the phone with a contact.
2. Ask when exchanging business cards. (Write EM on the card if they accept.)
3. Put a sign-up widget on all your online sites, including your blog and Facebook business page.
4. Ask in your daily email signature. Include a link to your website, where they can sign up.
5. Ask in your place-of-business guestbook.
6. Use QR codes that link to your “join my list” widget.